Sunday, November 11, 2012

Dark and Lovely Healthy Gloss 5 Shea Moisture Relaxer



Contents:
Shea Butter Conditioning Relaxer Creme with build-in Pre-Care
Creme Activator
Silk Keratin Serum
Healthy-Gloss Moisture Conditioner
Healthy-Gloss Moisture Hair Creme
Wooden Spatula 
Instructions
Gloves

What the product promises:
1) Moisture
2) Shine
3) Strength
4) Softness
5) Body
6) "Recharges hair with 5X more conditioning power for Moisture and Body."

My Review:
I LOVE this product. A few weeks before I had purchased the regular relaxer, I noticed that they offered the product in Super, Regular and for Color Treated Hair. After I had come from work it was already late and I was rushing to catch the beauty supply store before it closed that night. Saturday, the next day, was going to be extremely busy and I wouldn't have enough time for the commute. I just made it to the beauty supply store as it was closing and I quickly grabbed the box off the shelf completely forgetting about the fact that the product also catered to us color-treated girls. 

I loved this product so much that I purchased another box from Walmart but there was no box for color-treated hair. Regardless, the product was gentle enough on my hair and I experienced little hair-loss (you guys know what I mean-after relaxing, neutralizing and conditioning when you comb out your hair). 

What I enjoyed the most about this product was the fact that before you wash your hair with the neutralizing shampoo that there is a Silk Keratin Serum that you add to the hair. I really think that this step strengthened my hair.
 A lot of times after relaxing my hair, I've had very straight hair but it lacks body. Also, there have been a time or two when my hair has been texlaxed because I didnt want to leave the product in too long for fear of loosing hair. This relaxer left my hair straight but with body. I wish I had taken pictures. I just let my hair air-dry and I was good to go.

After using this product, I feel as if SoftSheen Carson has been watching YouTube videos and listening to and heading the concerns and feedback from its customers and the public in general. The fact that a relaxer was made that contained Shea Butter and also had a step in between relaxing and neutralizing proved this. They also know that there are several other companies to compete with and the Creme Activator also proves this. 

Recommendations:
I wish that the instructions were a better in terms of how long to leave the relaxer in. The instructions recommend performing a strand test and then adjusting the timing based on this for fine and color-treated hair. Medium hair had a limit of 15-18 minutes and coarse hair had a limit of 18-20 minutes. For my fine hair, I used the 'touch and go method'. Lol, my way of saying that I didnt have much time on my hands and did the relaxer without the strand test. Would I recommend someone else doing this? No! I'm assuming that the instructions advised as such because there are 3 different types of relaxers and also because everyone's hair reacts differently to the products. 

I've always been a fan of SoftSheen Carson but have never used any of the Dark and Lovely Products. The Optimum Salon Quality is my go to (and before this favorite) relaxer. But, I honestly wanted to switch things up after a while. People change and I didnt want to have a bone straight relaxer because I'm always getting caught out in the rain. 

Would I buy this again? :

Of course! The box I bought also had a $2 off coupon and I ended up buying the Leave- In Treatment which I also love and will post a review up at a later date. 

Leave a Comment! I would love to hear from you guys!

4 comments:

  1. I tried it as well and loved it. it is now my go to relaxer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you loved it! Keep me updated on the results. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  2. should I use he healthy gloss crème on wet hair.? or should I blow it dry first.?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to use the Healthy-Gloss Moisture Hair Creme on wet hair and then let it air dry (I'm natural now so I just use another leave-in). I never tried blow drying my hair. I preferred it that way. My relaxed hair loved it when wet. Plus I hardly combed my hair throughout the week so this had to go on wet hair. Their spray in leave-in conditioner was also a good friend of mine and I also used that on wet hair.

      Delete