Wednesday, December 19, 2012

My Discovery of Shop Well

I had never heard of this site prior to my accidental discovery. I haven't been dieting for well over 5 years and the past year I've been less calorie conscious. If it tastes good I've eaten it. :(

The site is pretty cool. It offers a mobile app that has a food scanner and a healthy grocery list. I remember when I first dieted, I would memorize the calories in foods without labels (fruits, veggies, foods that did have labels but I wanted to avoid weird looks in the grocery store and wasted time) or favorite foods to really get a good idea of how healthy each serving was. It also offers recommendations for 'Trade Ups'. The site is beautiful and user friendly. Lots of pictures, enough writing where I don't feel like an idiot (a lot of websites now have little to no words and its quite frustrating-when windows got rid of drop down menus with text I was pretty annoyed), food scoring to show how closely a product matches with your needs. You can connect with a facebook account or email.

You can sign up if you want, enter your age and gender, goals and/or conditions (for example, general health, lactose intolerance  ect.. this helps with selecting food preferences). It recommends foods that you want to eat to achieve your goals, foods that you don't want and you can also specify allergies. Based on your height, weight and age, exercise times and the recommended calories per day are also recommended. Mine was quite high for weight management. You can also find foods that you like and trade them in for healthier ones. A wide variety of foods are presented from international foods to run-of-the-mill items. Even bakery items from large stores are shown. For example, I wanted some cinnamon buns from a large chain store. The score was a 32 and marked in red. Another snack was recommended that was lower in calories, fat and contained more fiber. Unfortunately, the amount of sugar was not specified. It's a cute website that has all the nutritional labels.

I'll continue to check out the site but if you are starting a weight loss journey like me, this maybe a pretty interesting place to start along with Sparkpeople.

http://www.shopwell.com

Do you guys know of any other handing websites for weightloss? Leave a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment